Monday 17 December 2012

It's not about me either

A little over a week ago I was riding the bike in our local village event 'Santa Comes to Irby'. Santa was riding in on his own bike to switch on the village Christmas lights and other bikers, including myself, were riding in with him.

After the lights were switched on all the bikes were parked up in the local pub car park for all the kids to come over and sit on. Of course, the children enjoyed doing this, but it was the fathers, as I have seen so often, who look at their kids sat on the bikes with that sense of envy, and the look that says 'if only I could have one'. It has to be said that the look of the nearby wife is often one of 'not on your life.

Of course, this creates in me a sense of pride that my wife allows me to be part of this rather exclusive club, to which others are not allowed to belong.

Pride in this case is only a bit of fun, but in my role as a pastor, pride is something, that if not controlled, can easily become destructive. People do look up to you for help and encouragement, and it is too easy to get a feeling of self importance if you forget who it is you are serving and the help you need from Him every day.

The other day I was reading in Paul's letter to the Philippians, from chapter 4 verse 10 , where Paul writes, 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me'. This isn't just referring to the strength that we need to do things that are naturally beyond us, but the strength we need to do everything. We can do nothing without the strength of Christ; and if I can do nothing without His strength, then my ministry is not about me, it's all about Him.

The Biker Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment